I'm currently a freshman in my home country and desperately want to apply to universities in America, what should I do?



First time college applicant

I am studying Information Technology but I'm more interested in Psychology and want a chance to study in America.
I wonder if I'm a freshman, would there be any possibility that I could apply as a freshman in United States?
According to Boston University, here is how international transfer students should consider themselves as a freshman:
"If you have taken college classes without enrolling in a degree program, or if you will have less than 12 credits when you plan to enroll at Boston University, you should apply as a freshman."
sources: http://www.bu.edu/admissions/transfer/apply/

And I have just gained 10 credits from my college. Should I apply to Boston as freshman if there is still time?
I also want information from other colleges and universities if they have equivalent ideas of international transfer students as Boston's. I'm opened to all kinds of school whether it is Liberal Arts or Community colleges, etc.
Just in case: If there is any way that I could get a scholarship if I have to apply as an international transfer students, would anyone kindly inform me about this as detailed as possible?


1 Answers

  • Krishna Savani

    Krishna Savani

    Great to hear that you are interested in Psychology. I myself started as a computer science student but then moved into the social sciences (economics and psychology). Each college has its own procedure for how they count international transfer credits, so you can check the website of all the colleges that you are interested in and see their rules / procedures about international transfer.


    About scholarships, many top private colleges, including liberal arts colleges, provide scholarships for international students. You can find this information on the college websites. In particular, look for colleges which have "need blind international admission." This means that you will get admitted irrespective of your finances, and the college will give you financial aid to cover any gap between how much you can pay and your total costs (including living expenses).


    Community colleges are typically for people who are already in the US. I don't think they can sponsor international student visas.


    Best of luck for your academic journey!